...and it’s a nightmare!
The way Olek tells the story on her blog:
- First a big drunken asshole sexually harasses her.
- Rebuffed, he taunts her obscenely.
- Doused with her wine, he threatens her.
- Then when she strikes out in fear (um, admittedly, she punched him in the face while holding her wine glass…) she’s arrested.
- Then they drum up charges based on her carrying a small scissors that, as we all know she uses for her work. (I mean, like: duh!)
- Then she gets strip searched and harassed some more.
- Then THEY CONVICT HER and make her wait forever for her sentencing.
Meantime she’s in a foreign country where she has no connections and does not know the rules; her english is not top-notch; they put her in holding for three days; and she can’t call anyone because she doesn’t remember anyone’s telephone number by heart.
She also could not talk to the press, could not defend her good name, could not make clear how badly she needed help, nor explain exactly what her justifications were.
Her sentencing has now been moved to November 15th.
What’s the take away? When in England, never make a huge drunk angry no matter how angry he makes you. If he threatens you, wait till he takes his weapon out and messes you up. And put your glass down; it’s all fun and games until someone puts an eye out.
Read her harrowing tale and reach out to her here.